Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Great Montreal Theatre Escape DAY 7 & 8

"I guess its time for one of those inspirational speeches. Get ready. Buckle your seat belts. Strap yourself in. What we embark on today is more then just an adventure. Tonight we go below Berri Uqam station to conquer our fears. For every day is a protest. Every day is a revolution. Tonight we join our brothers in the struggle. This is for ARGENTINA! THIS IS FOR THE UKRAINE! THIS IS FOR OUR BROTHERS IN EGYPT! THIS IS FOR SPARTA!!! AS GOD AS MY WITNESS WE are going to find THE RAT DRAGON! WE ARE GOING TO SAVE OUR FRIEND JESSE! AND TOGETHER, WE WILL MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER PLACE FOR OUR CHILDREN OR WE SHALL DIE TRYING! Who's with me? YAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

-Fernando, Squeegee Nights

Every night, to the booming soundtrack of Tron, I get to deliver this passionate speech to the audience. Its the most fun I've had on stage in a long time.

The last two nights have been dominated by our performances of Squeegee Nights. In theatre, where everything is rehearsed and manipulated in hours of rehearsals, it has been both parts refreshing and nerve wracking going back to my sketch comedy roots, where material is untested, where improvisation is expected,and where the only thing that you can do is give it your ALL every step of the way. Each night leaves my voice nearly broken, sweating profusely and sore across every bone and tendon in my body. It's wild. There is live music, fight scenes, tons of props, and there is something kinetic about the rawness of it all. We didn't have alot of time to get it all together. But when you're in a show that apes a punk aesthetic, doing a polished piece doesn't really fit the material. This is punk theatre, where everything and anything goes.

And the celebrations that follow, with the theatre sound system booming, Appleton's rum coming straight from the jug, cigarettes around the piano screaming, good friends and new friends speaking in two separate languages, and JD shots ringing throughout the night....the celebrations that follow might be my favorite part.

I don't care if this is a romantic notion: Montreal has an energy, a certain quality that is hard to define, especially for an English speaking Torontonian who can only feel it but doesn't have the language to speak it. There is a magic, and that magic has carried me through the last few days here. I am alive. I am happy to be reminded.

Tonight is our closing night. Many suspect it will be a full house. I'm resting my voice until then, as I've nearly lost it from all my screaming, drinking and singing. I just want to ensure I can do it one last time.

If ever I doubted my lot in life, and anyone who reads this blog knows I do it on the daily, I have to say that the last week has really reaffirmed why I do this theatre shit in the first place. It's not just about fun, or glory, or fame. It's not about reviews, congratulations, or expression. It's not about being the centre of attention. It's about building community. And the rapport that's developed, with our cast and our audience over the last week is something special.

So to all those who worry about me: my parents, extended family, friends, co-workers, teachers, doctors. Yes, I drink too much. My diet can be sporadic. My sleep is disturbed. My finances are a jumble. My future uncertain.

But I have the best fucking life this world has to offer. And believe me, I wouldn't change a damn thing.

Tonight's gonna be a party, y'all.

Squeegee Nights. Thou art a thing of beauty.
That Blogging Bastard

No comments:

Post a Comment